Swimming is a good sport activity for health which contribute to strengthening the body’s resistance. This is a sport that anyone can participate, but not everyone knows the benefits of swimming.
Preventing and treating obesity
– Swimming is kind of movement from head to toe. Moreover, it is likely the best natural massage. Swimming can promote blood circulation of the vascular system of the body, increase fat consumption, promote the development of the muscles of the limbs, abdomen … strengthen the activities of the internal organs, enhance the body’s resistance, make the process of slimming gentle and comfortable.
– Swimming is an aerobic exercise with the lowest impact and pressure on the joints. According to the researchers, the whole body movement while swimming will consume about 790 calories / hour.
Preventing and treating arthritis
The weightlessness of water can help to reduce the pressure on the joints and eliminate the possibility of back pain, knee and muscle groups pain. The health experts also said that regular swimming makes joints work better and enhance the effects in treatment of chronic arthritis. Especially for the elderly who suffer from the back pain, swimming is an ideal method to reduce pain.
Swimming makes our lungs healthier remarkably. Because the pressure of water on swimmers’ chests avoid the breathe movement, the swimmers have to breathe hard. This helps in increasing the vital capacity of the lungs quite significantly. Vital capacity of the lungs of many professional swimmers increases more than normal person from 1,5 to 2 liters. The higher lung capacity is, the better stamina is. High lung capacity also creates favorable conditions for breathing and reduces asthma attacks, especially for smokers.
Good for blood circulation and blood pressure control
– Water pressure in the legs and arms also have benefits for blood circulation. The water pressure squeezed into the blood vessels help in relaxing blood back to the heart and lung.
– Swim about 30-60 minutes, 3-4 days per week can help in reducing your risk of heart disease, stroke and diabetes. As a form of regular physical activity, swimming can help in reducing blood pressure and cholesterol. Swimming can help in increasing the amount of blood and oxygen supplied to the lungs and the muscles. It also delivers positive results in the release of carbon dioxide from the body and makes our body maintain blood pressure at safe levels.
Preventing and treating insomnia or neurasthenia
Swimming requires the whole body movement. Because water has the natural massage effects to our bodies, swimming can help in improving and enhancing blood circulation, respiration, activities of internal organs, thus works effectively for the insomnia or neurasthenia.
Preventing and treating venous disease
Our feet are constantly operating in the water while swimming can increase muscle strength, massage blood veins, promote the movement of blood, eliminate the stagnation of blood leading to therapeutic and vein disease prevention effects. According to Dr. Jousselin, Director of the National Research Institute, straight lying posture in water make blood transmitted from legs to the heart and brain better. Thus go swimming in summer can avoid cardiovascular diseases
Reducing pressure in life
According to a survey, more than 75% people share that the pressures and stresses that they felt before they started swimming was greatly reduced, and in fact, some of them did not feel the pressures that life brings to them whether from work or family when they let their bodies immersed in water. Furthermore, it also helps you to relax the mind, creating positive, relaxing feelings and forget about the stresses. Swimming also increases confidence for yourself.
Reducing the risk of joint injuries
– Swimming helps in reducing the risk of injury, particularly to limbs, joints and muscles thanks to the boost of water. The researches have shown that practicing in water at waist level will help in reducing 50% tension of the joints while practicing at chest level reducing up to 75%.
– Swimming is very useful for those who want to recover from the joint injuries and surgeries or keep you healthy while you are waiting to go back to the load-bearing sports. Swimming also increase flexibility for body.
– Some people find these forms of light workout in the water do not cause the pain as they expose to the hard ground.
Benefits for future mothers
– Swimming is one of the best forms of exercise for women who in pregnancy. If you went swimming regularly before, you absolutely can continue without encountering any adjustments.
– If you did not go swimming before, you should start to go swimming now, but make sure to ask for doctor’s advice before participating. You have to start slowly, warm up well before and after swimming, heating and cooling body step by step and never try too hard.
– Any form of aerobic exercises always helps in increasing motor skills and using more oxygen, which is very important for you and your baby. It enhances blood circulation, makes muscles toned, and provides strength.
– Swimming is very effective in burning calories. When you consume calories, you will feel less exhausted, sleep better and your body can cope better with the changes in physical and mental in the process of pregnancy.
If 9 reasons above are not compelling enough, maybe this last reason will make you love this sport more. Swimming helps reducing mortality. According to several studies, swimming can make you live longer. A study at the University of Carolina on 40.547 people within 32 years has found that people who maintain the habit of swimming have mortality rates up to 50% less.
Swimming is a favorite sport of many people because it is inexpensive, does not require a lot of equipments and the benefits that it brings to our body. However, swimming can become a dangerous sport if you do not notice a few things to keep in mind when going for a swim especially swimming in the sea.