During the camping trip with family, the tents have a very important role for the overnight “events” in the mountains or the beach. Tent protects you from external effects such as wind, rain, fog, snow and even insect, snakes if your stay overnight in the woods. Therefore, investing in tents is important and necessary for the campers. Let’s check out these following tips to find your best family tent 2015.
Factors: Tent poles, zippers, tent doors and vents
– Tents with fiberglass tent poles are more durable than tents with aluminum tent poles. Nowadays, there are many kinds of low-quality tent poles which easily cracked and inelastic still being sold. Therefore, you should check carefully before deciding to buy. Fiberglass tent poles are not easily be broken horizontally, but often cracked and splitted vertically. Look closely at the tent poles bar, if you see the signs of cracks along the bar, you should not buy that tent. The bar are usually connected to each others by a rubber band. Check the elasticity of the rubber band and ask the store to see if they can provide alternative elastic.
– Check the zippers and tent doors carefully before buying to ensure the zippers smooth, tent doors and the vents are arranged up to standard. Before purchasing a tent you should double-check, open the tent and try go out and in. If you are not familiar with how to set up a tent, try a few times to get used to it. You can ask shopkeepers or people with experience for the steps that you do not know. Choose a kind of tent with two doors with a muslin layer to prevent mosquito and insects and a cover layer against rain. If you go camping when the weather is cool, too tight tent will occur condensation inside the tent because of the body temperature and water vapor you exhale. The only way to prevent this is let’s your water vapor go out through the vents on the tent’s body. So when buying tents, check if your tent has vents or not.
Select tent depending on terrain, weather
If you are going to camp on the mountains or places which do not have large ground and flat surface, do not select too big and wide tent. The advantages of this type of tent is possible for the whole family. The disadvantages are not convenient for camping, installing, setting up tent. Moreover, if you are going to camp on the places like mountains and forests, moving the furniture will be very difficult. If you bring a big tent with heavy weights, it will be difficult for you to go to the ramp, stream segments, thorny segments, bushes …
– In addition, large tents will retain less heat compare to small tents. When you go camping outdoor, it is very cold at night and the small will make you feel warmer. Furthermore, small tents are more maneuverable, you can carry, remove and install it easily. When there are strong winds, small tents are often stabler than the large ones. In contrast, you should choose a big tent if you are going to camp in flat terrain, windless places and hot weather areas.
Wires and anchors
Wires and anchors help your tent to become stabler when there are strong winds. Some types of dedicated tent can only be used as they are fixed by wires and anchors. Therefore, if your family go camping in areas where have special topography and weather, use dedicated tents with wires and anchors. In contrast, if you go camping in the gardens or other normal terrains, you can buy a simple tent.
The shape of the tent
Family tents are often shaped letters A, umbrella tents, dome tents or wall tents. Among them, A-shaped and umbrella tents are handy types with moderate size and weight, easy to carry and move and is removable. So, if not for special requirements, you can choose A-shaped and umbrella tents.
Tent size and weight
If your family go camping with only 3 members, select a tent with medium size enough for 3 members sleep warmly instead of preparing one with too large size. Thus, you need to define you want to buy a tent for how many people. The manufacturers often tell us how many people their tents make for.
– Normally we need about 2,1m2 floor space for each person to feel comfortable when we sleep. When you go camping, you can stay a little tighter with about 1,7m2. So consider the weight of each member of the family to choose the appropriate size tent. You should also be concerned about length and width of the tent. For example, your height is 170 centimeters, you need a tent with a minimum length of 190 centimeters to stretch comfortably. You also need about 70 centimeters width to sleep comfortably all night.
– If you bring a too small tent, your tent may does not have enough space for you and your suitcases. In fact, a tent for 2 person is not large enough for 2 person and their suitcases. Instead, if your family have 4 member, you should prepare a big tent for 5 persons or 2 small tent. If your family only has 2 adults and 2 childrens, a tent for 4 persons will be a appropriate choice.
– If you usually go camping with your whole family or your big group of friends, you should consider buying a large tent. However, remember that this kinds of tent are not stable as the small ones. You can ask the other family members’ opinion because sometimes in the family, there are members who want to have their own tent; therefore, instead of very large tent, you can divide into two smaller tents. You should also remember that the tent size is proportional to the weight so the bigger the tent is, the heavier you have to carry.
– A good tent will withstand wind and rain well and can be used for many years is often expensive. Therefore, if your family go camping regularly, it is better to purchase a quality tent so you can use it comfortably for a long time. In contrast, if your family go camping occasionally, you do not have to choose a too expensive tent. Though, buy a tent with too poor quality, easy to damage the fragile which will affect your family’s trip. If you go camping near your place or you only go camping rarely, you can consider borrowing from friend. If it is not available, buy an affordable tent but can be used at least two or three times.
– If this is the first time that you buy a tent, refer the prices in different stores or ask your acquaintances. You can also find out the prices and materials on the websites selling this product, or ask members of the forums for advisory. When you have enough knowledge and understand more about this product, you can always “upgrade” your tent and sell the old ones to earn a little money.
If your go camping with your family in a romantic place, you can prepare a private space for your wife/ husband. Prepare small tents for the children if you do not want them to disrupt your romantic moment. In contrast, if you prefer to have memories of fun and warmth with your whole family, choose one tent with enough space for all family members.
A camping trip is considered entirely happy when all the stages from eating, playing, sleeping must be prepared and planned carefully. So these tips for choosing family tent above are definitely not redundant for those who are planning to go camping with family.